Pages

P.S. I Still Love You by Jenny Han

Friday, April 19, 2019


Synopsis from the Publisher:
Lara Jean didn’t expect to really fall for Peter.

She and Peter were just pretending. Except suddenly they weren’t. Now Lara Jean is more confused than ever.

When another boy from her past returns to her life, Lara Jean’s feelings for him return too. Can a girl be in love with two boys at once?


In this charming and heartfelt sequel to the New York Times bestseller To All the Boys I've Loved Before, we see first love through the eyes of the unforgettable Lara Jean. Love is never easy, but maybe that’s part of what makes it so amazing.


Review:
I really loved the first book in this series, so I was excited to continue the journey with P.S. I Still Love You. It was great to see Peter and Lara Jean become a real couple, but of course, they had some more obstacles, like Peter’s ex, Genevieve, and the return of John Ambrose McClaren, one of the five boys Lara Jean wrote letters to. He just happened to get his a bit later than all of the others.

The plot itself is a little thin. Lara Jean is confused about her feelings for John and Peter, which is not helped by Peter’s inability to stop running to Gen whenever she calls. I could understand Lara Jean’s frustration with him, not only because Peter seemed incapable of putting her as his first priority, but he simply dismissed her concerns whenever she brought them up.

The book lagged a little with the subplot of setting up Lara Jean’s father with their neighbor, and I was starting to lose patience with the whole Gen thing, because as I noted in the first book, she’s nothing more than a mean girl and has very little to no depth. I get that she’s supposed to be Lara Jean’s rival, but give her some semblance of a personality maybe?

I did enjoy the bits with Lara Jean and John, because Han gave us a believable rival to Peter Kavinsky. John was the guy Lara Jean probably should have ended up with. They seemed to have more in common, at least. But the heart wants what it wants, right? And yes, while I liked John enough. I was still rooting for Peter to finally win her back.

In any case, while I found P.S. I Still Love You to be as adorable as TATBILB, it was missing the same charm that won me over in the first book. Maybe I’m starting to outgrow love triangles being such a huge plot point in these kinds of books. That being said, I’m still looking forward to reading the last book in the series. I just hope the whole Genevieve thing is put to rest finally. Please.

Rating: 4.5/5


The Moodboard



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS