Pages

To All The Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han

Sunday, March 31, 2019


Synopsis from the Publisher:
To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before is the story of Lara Jean, who has never openly admitted her crushes, but instead wrote each boy a letter about how she felt, sealed it, and hid it in a box under her bed.

But one day Lara Jean discovers that somehow her secret box of letters has been mailed, causing all her crushes from her past to confront her about the letters: her first kiss, the boy from summer camp, even her sister's ex-boyfriend, Josh.

As she learns to deal with her past loves face to face, Lara Jean discovers that something good may come out of these letters after all. 



Review:
I watched the Netflix adaptation of To All The Boys I’ve Loved Before last year and loved it so much that I made a mental note to read the book. It’s been a while but a digital copy was finally available through my library so I went ahead and downloaded it. I read it over the course of this weekend. It was an easy, adorable read and I’m so glad I finally got around to starting the series.

I felt like the Netflix movie followed the book pretty well, despite some changes here and there. As an adult, I sometimes find it difficult to read books with teenage protagonists that aren’t in the horror genre, but Lara Jean is a character I found easy to like and root for. She felt like someone I would have been friends with in high school. A hopeless romantic, dependable and smart, but like so many teenagers, riddled with insecurities and doubts.

Peter Kavinsky had the potential to be one dimensional and bland, as so many love interests are in these books, but Han does an excellent job at fleshing out his character. He's sweet, and cocky and definitely has his fair share of flaws. But that only serves to make him feel more real to me. I would say the only two characters I had a hard time reading was Margot, who felt overly pretentious and annoying, and Genevieve, who, like in the movie, came across as a typical cliched mean girl. Even bitches have some depth, but it’s so hard to find that in these stories.

Lara Jean and Peter’s journey was extremely cute and angsty. Perhaps a bit overdramatic at times, but that’s high school for you. Still, I definitely rooted for them to get together while still enjoying Lara Jean’s relationships with other people, most notably her close-knit family. Han did a fabulous job creating this wonderful little world and making Lara Jean and Peter's "fake relationship" blossom in a way that never felt contrived.

TATBILB was everything I hoped it would be and I can’t wait to see what happens next in P.S. I Still Love You.


Rating: 5/5



The Moodboard:

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS