Pages

Red, White and Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

Thursday, May 14, 2020



Synopsis from the Publisher:

When his mother became President of the United States, Alex Claremont-Diaz was promptly cast as the American equivalent of a young royal. Handsome, charismatic, genius—his image is pure millennial-marketing gold for the White House. There's only one problem: Alex has a beef with an actual prince, Henry, across the pond. And when the tabloids get hold of a photo involving an Alex/Henry altercation, U.S./British relations take a turn for the worse.

Heads of the family and state and other handlers devise a plan for damage control: Stage a truce between the two rivals. What at first begins as a fake, Instagrammable friendship grows deeper, and more dangerous, than either Alex or Henry could have imagined. Soon Alex finds himself hurtling into a secret romance with a surprisingly unstuffy Henry that could derail the presidential campaign and upend two nations. It raises the question: Can love save the world after all? Where do we find the courage, and the power, to be the people we are meant to ben? And how can we learn to let our true colors shine through? How will history remember you?



You are the thistle in the tender and sensitive arse crack of my life.

Review: 

I remember months ago - maybe longer, because what is time anymore?? - this book being all the rage on Bookstagram and I've been wanting to read it for some time. But I think a lot of bookaholics can relate to having more books to read than time to read them, so this remained on my TBR for quite a while.

Well, thanks to Mother's Day weekend, I was finally able to lay around and be lazy and crack this baby open. I'm so glad that I finally did because I could NOT put it down. I read it in bed, in the bath, while eating dinner... to call it a page-turner would be an understatement. 


In the book's acknowledgments, the author wrote that a few months after November of 2016 they nearly gave up on this book. I wouldn't have blamed them. But thank you, Casey McQuiston, for pushing forward and giving us Alex and Henry's story. It was just the kind of escapism I've been needing to cling to lately. 


Red, White & Royal Blue was sexy and sweet and had some legit laugh out loud moments. The dialogue was realistic and witty, and I have to say, Alex was a fascinating protagonist. To be inside of his head through this entire book was quite a ride. I loved his character development, along with his blossoming relationship with Prince Henry. They compliment each other so well and McQuiston perfectly balances the romance and humor. Oh, and if you love a bit of angst weaved into your love stories, Red, White & Royal Blue has just the right amount of it to tug at your heart.


It makes my heart swell that a queer romance - a queer, biracial romance - is getting so many accolades, and it's definitely deserved. McQuiston gives us a romance to root for, as well as a cast of diverse characters, all of whom add to the story rather than play just stock stereotypes. 


Some of the criticism I've read regarding this book is that it's wrapped up too easily, the bow tied too neatly. Maybe we've all grown desensitized to what a dumpster fire the world has become. Maybe we're too beaten down now, too used to the 24/7 cycle of bad news that we can't fathom a world where good things can happen. There are some books that I can put aside and say "that was too unbelievable... too unrealistic." But not here. This is the kind of world I want to live in. I'll take even more of it, please. 99% of my romance reads, I want/need the happy ending. McQuiston delivers, and with a strong message of hope and inclusion. 


I can't remember the last time a book made me laugh and cry and I think Red, White & Royal Blue is going to join my very small list of romance re-reads in the future.



Rating: 5/5



The Moodboard

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS